Film – Week 10 – GTD – Getting Things Done – Part 2

“Homework” by Hades2k is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Teens are overwhelmed, partly because they don’t yet have the skills to manage the unprecedented amount of stuff that enters their brains each day.  – from LifeHacker.com

“Your mind is for having ideas, not holding them.”

“You can do anything, but not everything.”

― David Allen, (GTD) Getting Things Done for Teens: Take Control of Your Life in a Distracting World

SUMMARY

This week in film, I completed my previous Blog post and started making a film for my CAS experience.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Screenshot from Sneakonthelot.com
Screenshot from Sneakonthelot.com

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from Animated Book Summary And Review at YouTube

I have been starting to plan a film with another student, some nights I would have a random idea pop in my head. From Help Teens De-Stress With These ‘Getting Things Done’ Hacks, I decided to start writing ideas into “notes” in my phone. This allows me to capture ideas which develops my film, for a better end result. In the video, Getting Things Done (GTD) by David Allen – Animated Book Summary And Review, I thought it was interesting how Allen mentions forgetting a friends birthday. Last week, I realized that I was so busy and caught up in school that I even forgot my best friend’s birthday. From this, my calender has become very beneficial in my pursuit of lessening the amount of stress that I get from online school. With the steps of deciding which assignments to do, I noticed that the process of picking the assignments was most beneficial for success, was important for me. Recently, I decided that I wanted to focus more on college application compared to high school work since that was the most important and had the most impact.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk

Examine Two GTD Maps: Basic and Detailed

1. Detailed map by guccio@文房具社 icensed under CC BY-NC 2.0
  2. Basic map from BiggerPlate.com embedded below

GTD-based Trusted System

Image from Trello.com

Choice: Paper and pen or pencil

OUTSIDE (PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

OPTIONAL EXERCISE

Image from GoodReads.com
Image from GoodReads.com

STUDIO (CREATING MAPS)

• Set a timer
  • Spend up to 15 minutes
  • Then watch David Allen summarize the steps
    • “Very simple folks! …
      1. Just WRITE STUFF DOWN
      2. Decide the ACTIONS and OUTCOMES embedded in them
      3. Get yourself a MAP OF ALL THAT so you can step back and take a look at it.
      4. And then, basically, you USE THE MAP TO DECIDE, “OK, here’s the course that we’re going to go on.”
      5. You then LAUNCH the ‘ship’ on a trusted course in the short term, as well as on the long horizon that you’re moving on.
      6. And then, on a regular basis, you need to REASSESS, “OK, we need to take in NEW DATA, CLEANUP, RECALIBRATE, and REFOCUS for the next leg of the journey.”
    • It’s that simple…”
  • ‘Capture’ all the ACTION ITEMS you can in your GTD Trusted System

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

This week I learned that most students had the same GTD trust system as me, being writing down assignments in a planner and processing which assignments were due that specific day. The problem I solved was which assignments were most important for success.